Bridlington Tourist Information 01482 391634
Bridlington Priory Church South Aisle
Bringing Bridlington Information to You
Bridlington Priory Church South Aisle
The first tablet West of the Screen is to Elizabeth Hickman, of whom it is written, "She was an obedient wife, had an agreeable person, and a fine understanding improved by a polite education. She died 31 July A.D. 1730 The 71". The marble bust, set in the niche with alabaster surround, was erected by public subscription as a tribute to the memory of Richard Paul Blakeney, D.D. The inscription records: "He carried great learning with greater modesty and gentleness. He contended zealously for the truth but always in love to win souls for Christ". Through his efforts the West Front was brought to its present magnificence, the South side and the North Porch restored, the Chancel repaved and the Choir Stalls erected. In 1881 he secured to the Benefice for ever the Great Tithes and in consequence, from that time, all incumbents of the Priory have been styled "Rector". His writings were of such importance that Edinburgh University conferred upon him the degree of D.D. The Archbishop of York appointed him to the Office of Rural Dean and later conferred upon him the dignity of a Canonry of York.
Near to the South Door is a remarkable corbel. The animal looks like a giant bat, with a mane, about to take flight. Above this are three courses of foliage from which rises a triple-clustered half-column. Note the perfectly-carved bases upon which [he moulding round the segmental headed doorway ends. Note also the label which terminates in two perfectly carved heads. From the South Door to the Tower, it will be observed, there are no windows.
This wall formed the inner wall to the Prior's Apartments, and loopholes, now built up, which gave light to his rooms. can be seen.
To The West of the South Door a wonderful tribute is paid by a husband and two sons to Anne Mathurnia de Beriot, 1792.
In the second bay from the South Door are the remains of a tablet which was once adorned with other brasses. The cherubs' heads with wings and the old brass dated 1715 are all that now remain. The inscription tells us that "A most sorrowful husband arranged to place here until the joyful and happy day of resurrection, the body of Priscilla, who departed this life on the 10th August 1715, lately wife of Roger Woodburn".
The mural tablets further to the West are worthy of attention, especially that to Timothy Wolfe, citizen and merchant of London who died in 1738. "He left the produce of £500 to be distributed annually amongst the poor". The other four tablets which range over a period of 100 years are erected to members of the Rickaby family.
The four tablets. in the last bay were erected to the memory of members of the well-known Prickett family. Of the same period are the four memorials of the Lloyd-Greame family on the last pier.
The plain marble tablet commemorates Henry Frederick Barnes-Lawrence, M.A., Incumbent from 1849-1874. The inscription records: "He laboured devotedly to restore the Priory Church, increased its endowment, built the Rectory, enclosed the Churchyard, enlarged the National Schools and with great kindness cared for the bodies and souls of the people. In 1868 he founded the Association for the Protection of Sea Birds and secured the enactment of close times throughout the British Isles".
Near to this tablet are to be seen standing on the floor two ancient grave stones. The one with the cross is mutilated but sufficient of it remains for us to identify it by the inscription: "Here lies Robert Charder, Canon, who died 1535". He may have been the "Robert" who was Prior immediately before the last Prior, Wm, Woode. The inscription on the larger stone is complete and reads: "Here lies Lord Robert Brystwyk, formerly Prior of this place, who died in the year of our Lord, 1493, on whose soul may God have mercy, Amen". Both these stones of soft chalk stone were brought into the Priory from the churchyard in order to preserve them.
Bridlington Priory written by the late John. W. Lamb, M.A., Ph.D.