Bridlington Tourist Information

Bridlington Tourist Information 01482 391634

Flamborough Lighthouse

Bringing Bridlington Information to You


Flamborough Lighthouse

Flamborough Head Lighthouse is located approximately one mile away from the village of Flamborough. At the lighthouse, guided tours are available providing useful and interesting information on how the lighthouse operates.

Climb the 119 steps to the top of the Lighthouse to see the wonderful views over Bridlington Bay and the Heritage Coast.
istory

A lighthouse was first established at Flamborough by Sir John Clayton in 1669, but was never kindled. The name Flamborough was first thought to be derived from it being the place of the flame, but in the domesday book the word is spelt "Flaneberg", possibly from the Saxon "Flaen" meaning a dart, which the shape of the headland resembles.

The present lighthouse, designed by architect Samuel Wyatt, was built by John Matson of Bridlington in 1806 at a cost of £8,000. It was first lit on 1st December of that year. The original lighting apparatus was designed by George Robinson and consisted of a rotating vertical shaft to which was fixed twenty one parabolic reflectors, seven on each of the three sides of the frame. Red glass covered reflectors on each side, giving for the first time in lighthouse characteristics two white flashes followed by one red flash. This was an innovation quickly adopted elsewhere. The lighthouse was oil-burning, with an equivalent candle power of 13,860.

The following description of Flamborough Lighthouse is taken from Joseph Cotton's "Memoir on the Origin and Incorporation of the Trinity House of Deptford Strond" written in 1818.

The site of Flamborough Head was of all others the most calculated for a lighthouse, either for coasters or for vessels from the Baltic and North Sea, but it was not concurred in by the trade until lately, when its utility having been admitted, the present lighthouse was erected, and the light exhibited upon the principle of the Scilly light, but with coloured red glass in front of the burners, by which it is distinguished from Cromer.


Sewerby Hall and Gardens staff conduct guided tours from April until October between 11am and 4pm. Seasonal variations apply. The tours last approximately 20 minutes.

For more information about the tours and the lighthouse, please contact Sewerby Hall on (01262) 673769.


Facilities Include

Bridlington.net

Flamborough Lighthouse

Bringing Bridlington Information to You

Contact Details

Telephone: Sewerby Hall on (01262) 673769
Email:
Website: http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/flamborough.html
Postcode: YO15 1AR


Go Back to the Places of Interest listings page
or
Email this Page to a Friend


Top